In April our family grew by 6 chicks.
(Martin shown here)
The boys named them all and really wanted the chicks to be boys…leading me to explain why we wanted them to be girls.
Martin was a favorite as a chick because she looked like she was wearing a superhero mask.
A few weeks later, our 6 chicks went down to 5 as we learned one was a boy and since we aren’t allowed to have roosters in our neighborhood, the boys had to say goodbye to Yoda and we passed him on to a good local farm.
Our final 5 needed a coop – because oh my goodness, those sweet chicks grow fast – and after looking at a few plans, this is what we ended up with.
It’s a great size for our small group.
A few in process photos:
It’s well ventilated and fully insulated for Wisconsin winters.
And while Chad built, I painted.
Painting the interior all white helps with it feeling brighter and cleaner (although I knew this was the cleanest it would ever look)
Ease of cleaning was important to me. The flooring is a tray that simply slides out a small hinged door at the back for us to easily sweep out soiled shavings. We also lined it with linoleum for it to be quickly hosed down when needed.
The girls love their roosting bars.
A shelf for the waterer was added and a feeder hangs down.
The girls moved in before the run was added. So, they now have the run
(as well as run of our whole yard).
We love having them and are enjoying the benefits every day!